Wednesday 24 September 2014

Film Poster Analysis: Before I Go To Sleep

In this blog post I will be looking at the film poster for the film Before I go to Sleep, a psychological thriller which was released in 2014. The target audiences of the film was 15+ males and females who liked this genre.

When looking at this poster the first thing you notice is the main image which is made up of three different close up pictures of the main stars of the film, Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth and Mark Strong. The close ups let you see the emotion and all the characters look very serious. When making my own poster I will need to think if I want to use close ups like this to show emotions of if I will want to use medium or long shots to create more mystery.

Moving onto the colour pallet, it is very simple because just uses black and white and the colours in the image, this is in keeping with the conventions of psychological thrillers because it makes the film look serious and believable. I think I will be needing to using a black and white colour scheme for my poster to follow this convention.

The final part of the poster I am going to look at is the typography style of the poster, the typography style is very serious and simple which shows the film will be intense. The slogan 'Remember who to trust' foes over the images in the centre of the page and this gives you some insight into the story.
You then have the rest of the text at the bottom section of the page, and this includes the standard text you would expect to see, the film title, release date and credits. The actors names are at the top of the poster on this one. I will follow these sort of text conventions on my poster.

From looking at this poster I have now learned that the key features I need to think about on my own poster will be; images, layout, typography and colour pallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment