Friday 19 September 2014

Research into film shots commonly used in a psychological thriller

Before researching short films in detail I decided to look at shots commonly used in film genres I was interested in to learn more about how cinematography can impact the audience. This will also help when we come to develop our own shot list.

In a lot of the films I research I found they used close up shots to show emotions from the character this emotions mostly anger or fear although my short film we could use a close up shot to show other emotions such as lust for the main charter Delcua. Although when I was doing this research I also found it does not matter what type of close up shot you have because each type is useful for showing  a emotion. I also found very often that the close up shots used in psychological thrillers are commonly taken in very dark lighting however this is just used to help establish the emotion behind the image.

A example of a film which really used close up shots to its advantage and showed the anger of the character is in the Shining in the Here's Johnny scene, it may not be a psychological thriller however when looking at psychological thrillers I very often found similarities between the genres.  Below is the clip that shows interesting use of close ups and framing...

One of the other main shots I found to be used a lot in psychological thrillers is a establishing shot which helps set out the location of a film a great example of this is in shutter island where you see the island which the film Is based around. t also helps establish the location of the film and shows the views where the story is taking places.
Although establishing shots do not always need to be used to establish a location instead they can be used to establish characters for example Avengers  is a great example of a establishing shot however it may be from a different genre of film however the concept is the same. Below is the establish shot from the avengers which after looking at the way they used a establishing shot to show of the characters it makes me think how could we do this in my groups short film.

What I found interesting in this last clip was not so much the shot types but the camera movement and camera angles as they have been used cleverly to add tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment