Tuesday 8 October 2013

Main task music magazine and target audiences

Main Task

For the main task I need to create my own music magazine sticking to the certain genre of music. For my magazine I need to make the front cover, contents page and a feature article. To be able to do this to the best of my ability and to make a good magazine I will have to look at the companies that control the majority of magazines. Also to ensure my music magazine sticks to the conventions of the magazines already out, I will need to have a look at them to get a better understanding of what I need in my magazine and hopefully by doing this I will able to put key aspects of magazines in my own. Then to be able to make my own original images I will need to  look at  photographers to produce my own original images after that I will  look into the new media technologies surrounding the print industry so that I can be able to  involve these with my practical work. To be able to successfully do this i can use the skills that I have gained within the preliminary task that gave me a great insight into creating a good realistic magazine that is compatible to the target audience that I will try to profile.

The publication available in the genre of music magazines is a big and varied as music tastes themselves. The key genre of music and subsequently that music magazines produced by institutions for profit are:

Hip-Hop
Rock
Grunge
Alternative/ Indie
Pop
Jazz
Classical
Reggae
R&B
Death Metal
Rap

I am now going to take a closer look at six of the genres in order to work out which genre I will pick for my new music magazine to fall under. I will also look at what  type of music the genre entails and summarise who the primary target audience is. I will also look at the key artists that form the music genre.

Indie
Indie is a popular genre with people who enjoy an alternative to the mainstream music which is extremely diverse and has various different sub-genres, such as indie-pop, indie-rock,lo-fi and much more.

The target audiences for indie is mixed genders  and appeals to people  that want a alternative to main stream the age range is people aged 15 to 30.Also the social classes that indie would appeal to is people
from A down to E.Indie also  appeals to the white ethnicity group and also appeal to both sexualities as Indie is one of the genres that have people that don't sell them selves as sexual objects as the men appear more like female on some magazines like Kerrang and females look more masculine which turns around Laura Mulve's theory  that females are seen as sexual objects in media.

The name of the genre is an adaption of 'independent' which was originally used to describe low budget  record labels,then  it became associated with the music they produced and used interchangeably with alternative rock.
thesmithssonicyouth

Some of the best know indie bands include:
1) Sonic youth
2)The Smiths
3) Interpol
4) You Me At Six
interpol1and many more.








With indie music there are  two main  magazine competitors which are Kerrang and NME.






When researching about Indie I came across this link about the history of indie.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/series/a-history-of-indie-music?INTCMP=SRCH

This music video I found as I was researching indie music this is a modern indie singer could Blanket Barricade which is not my cup of tea however I can see how this appeals to people.










Rap

Rap music is very fast paced music which in reflection resembles modem life which is very fast. Rap music is very strong viewed music and has caused some controversy in society which I will get onto in a minute.

The target audiences for rap music is teens aged 13 to 19 who want to rebel which proves that Hebdige's theory (1979) is right as he says youth are represented as either "fun or trouble" and rap music backs this up. Rap music appeals to more males than females as seen most recently rap music has been seen as degrading to females. For example in 2001 at the SunFest festival in Jamaica, Lyrics such as "Game is the topic/ And what's between your legs is the product" where song and was one of the reasons females are put of rap music. Rap helps back up Stanley Halls theory (1904) that youth have conflict with society. The social class that rap appeals to is people in the c1 to e social class which is the main stream audiences.


The ethnicity groups that rap appeals to is Black males and Caucasian males this is because rap music is more downgrading for females this boosts the males self-esteem which I personally think is immature and in this modern day society we should treat each over as equals.


Some of the best know rap artists are as followed:

Jay-Z

Snoop Dog

Drake

50 Cent

Dr.Dre















Some popular rap based magazines are:
                                                             
                                                                            Vibe

                                                                         Hip-Hop























This is a song called candy shop by 50 cent. This video is a example of how they use females as sexual objects in media this backs up Wolf's theory which suggests that images of females in the media present females as sexual objects.



This is a really good link below that I found because it gives you a good insight into the way rap has been offensive to people.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/mar/08/popandrock.gender




Pop 
Pop music is for people that wont a fun positive song which mostly appeals to teenagers it is a more calm version of rock'n'roll  with more rhyme and harmony's. Unlike Indie it is not very diverse and only really has one part to it.

The target audiences for pop is mainly teens so people aged 13 to 19. Pop also mainly appeals to females for example the majority of one direction fans are female.  Male teens mostly do not like male pop bands because they are jealous of the attention that they get from the female audiences, however I find this immature and people should just enjoy the music and not judge it on the band or person. However unlike indie music, pop has two target audiences as the parents also listen to the music to show there kids that they are cool.

The ethnicity group that pop will mainly appeal to will be people of a Caucasian ethnicity this is because most of the singers are under that category for example Taylor Swift  is American and because she is Caucasian this can translate to Caucasians are safe and appealing. However there are some black singers like Rihanna who is from the Caribbean which appeals to the Caucasian people. However pop can appeal to the black ethnicity group however  stereotypically the black ethnicity group likes  rap music like Will.i.am, the social class that pop appeals to is people in c1 to e which is the mainstream audiences.





Some of the most popular pop artists at present  are

    Rihanna
    Lady Gaga
   Katey Perry
   Taylor Swift
   Olly Murs
   Pink
   Miley Cyrus 




















This is a new pop song called Roar by Katey Perry which has taught people to stand up for them selves and has become a number one over night.


After looking at the 3 magazine types that most interested me,  I have chosen to pick the  genre pop to focus on for my magazine which is one of the most "now" types of music because of this it is a mainstream music business. The typical pop style music mostly has a group of people like one direction or there is only one person  for example  Katey Perry. Some older pop artists that are still popular are the Beatles one of best known of all English pop bands. Some of the most popular magazine pop music brands are We Love Pop, Billboard and Top of the Pops. I  will later on need to look into the kind of things that people produce for their target audience to get them interested as this will be a assist for me when it comes to my target audience. I also need to look into the way fashion impacts on the pop music scene. I will do this because fashion now has a big impact on the target audience so this will be a good way to appeal to my target audience.


1 comment:

  1. Good, you are starting to think about what genre to work in and are making an effort to make your blog visually interesting for readers - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete