Friday 27 March 2015

Premiere Pro Short Film editing


As there was a lot of editing stages for the short film I have condensed it down so I am taking the main features undertaken during editing process of our short film.

When starting to edit the first thing I  did after importing the film clip and putting it onto the time line was to go onto the razor tool, this allowed me to separate parts of clips and then by selecting the selection tool I could click on a clip I wanted to delete. By using the selection tool I could select the wanted area and then by pressing the backspace button I could delete the unwanted clip.

The two screen shots below show you me doing this very process.



After cutting out a section I also had to use the selection tool so that I could move the clips so there are no breaks in the timeline, if I didn't do this you would just have a black screen which most certainly does not look professional. Below I just a screen shot showing me doing the process of moving a clip.   













The final thing that my group and I did when editing was adding other clips or music on the same part of the timeline, by this I mean we have the main timeline where we have the film itself, we then had a selection above and below where we have the music which was playing at the same time as the film, we also had other video above the main time line, for example this meant we could quickly switch from a medium shot to a close up of a actor, the only problem with doing this though was instead of moving the camera to the shot you wanted while filming you did have to go over the same scene a couple times, however in the long run this does not really matter as it has meant we have finished with a more professional end product. 

Reflection Process:

When looking back over all my practical work, I think I have made two very successful products individually, the poster and double page spread and contributed to a good group film.

What I think works well about my two print tasks is that they advertise the film well and fit the genre conventions I looked at in my research.

The reason why I think my poster worked well is because:
  • I have used the colours black and white which connote the genre and are featured on professional posters like the posters I analysed.
  • I used a medium shot for the main image of Delcua and this follows conventions of film posters for films like shutter island because they also did medium to close up shot on their poster. 
  •  I have put the film title in the bottom part of the poster in a fine typography style to show the genre and this follows conventions of other film magazines I have seen as they use similar typography style.
  • I have put the names of the actors in the top part of the poster and this follows conventions of posters for films like shutter island which also did this.
  •  I put the credits and release date at the bottom which is a convention all film posters follow. 
The reason I think my feature article went well is because: 
  • I have used a medium long shot for my main image that is on the left side of the double page spread. This shot is of Delcua and this follows conventions I saw in other double page spreads because normally they place the main image on the left.
  • I included film reel with other pictures from the film along the bottom of both pages of the article.
  • I have written a clear review that shows my personal opinions in a style that you often see in film magazine review articles.
  • I have put my article on the right side of the page in two columns.   
  • I have used a colour pallet of black and white to connote the genre of the film the article is about.
  • I have put the title in a larger font and positioned it at the top of the page and made sure the typography is right for the genre.

What I think went well with out short film was:

  • The unique storyline we developed
  • Following genre conventions
  • Trying out interesting shots
  • Getting the dialogue right
  • Geting the sound right
  • Creating a unique title

However, some things could have gone better like the setting choice and filming in the middle of the day, this was not the original plan but due to weather problems and actor issues we had to adapt the script to this and it does not really fit the conventions of our genre. I cannot help thinking this was a mistake because it does not make our genre clear enough as pathetic fallacy does not add to the mood.   



1 comment: